Friday, October 22, 2010

"Oh No He Didn't"

Recently, at an event I attended along with some other former cancer patients, I was asked to introduce myself and share a little of my story. I decided I would use "my version" of my story in my introduction. As I was last in the group, I heard everyone else's introduction before mine. After hearing some of the other stories, I started second guessing myself about my own introduction. I didn't want to show any disrespect to the others. I went with my original introduction anyway. Here's what I said.

"My name is Greg Frazee and I was diagnosed with Stage IV Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma 2 years ago. I went through several chemotherapy treatment protocols, including a stem cell transplantation. I have always considered cancer a nemesis because of all of the other people I have known who have been affected by it. One way I fought cancer prior to diagnosis was through the donation of blood platelets, knowing that they would be used for cancer patients. I always wondered if I was doing enough. So, I decided to get a first person experience and I proceeded to get cancer just so I could truly understand what it was like. Here I am."

Some of the folks in the room snickered, some of the others looked at me like my head just fell off my shoulders. I didn't worry about apologizing to anyone. I figure, if you are in the club, you have your own coping mechanism that is unique to you. Humor is mine. I won't apologize for it. I will show empathy to anyone who has been diagnosed with cancer and will do my best to meet them on their level.

However, I'm warning you now. Ask me about my cancer, you will get my response. Maybe not the one you are expecting, but one that is with the intent of making you comfortable.

In my book, cancer affecting others is not funny. Others affected by cancer have my compassion, concern and promise that I will do everything I physically can to help them through their journey.

My cancer...."Thank you. I'll be here all week and make sure to tip your waitress on your way out!"

No comments: