Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Andri (Part 2)

"You like that life? Kind of tough to settle in and make friends."

"Actually, I have lots of friends everywhere I've been. The best part....you get to tell your stories and jokes new every time you relocate somewhere. I like to think I stay long enough to be considered boring and then I move on. It's been a rewarding experience. Someday, when I'm finished, I'll stop doing it. For now, I'll stick with it."

"Good for you."

Silence. Andri looked at the clock to see if it was 20 after or 20 until the hour. He had heard that when the silence happens in a conversation, for some reason it always occurs at that time in the hour. The clock showed 6:29.

"Not this time, " he whispered to himself.

"Not this time, what?" asked his new friend.

Andri relayed the story of the "clock silence" and expressed his belief that he had seen it happen more than once.

"Interesting. In some of the places I have been, I have heard the same story. Except, the time is different based on where I am. Some places, it is 10 after and 10 of, others are 15, some have been 7, etc., etc. Don't know why there is that variation, but I guess that is what makes humanity interesting. Similar, yet different."

"Guess so."

"Sir, your platelet counts are good today. Do you have time to give us a double?", Joni, the staff member asked, "You'll be in the chair about 75 minutes once we start collecting."

"Sure thing. Good way to impress you all on my first visit here."

"Thank you sir. We appreciate it."

"Andri, you'll be out of here in about an hour. However, your platelets will be used up before day end right here at the hospital."

"Excellent. Be out of your hair soon enough, I guess."

"Yes, but we will expect to see you back in a couple weeks."

Andri's collection went without a hitch and indeed he was finished in a little over an hour. He never really stuck around for the snacks afterwards. He had done this long enough to know he never experienced any side effects and his office was less than a mile away, so if he had any problems, there would be someone around to help.

"Catch you all later. Nice to meet you sir. See you around. Don't let these folks tell you they need to switch arms in the middle of  your collection. That is there favorite initiation ritual to new people."

"Get out of here, Andri. Don't lie to him."

"Someone needs to tell him the truth."

With that he was out the door and down the sidewalk.

"Good start to the day," he thought. He only hoped that the person receiving his platelets would have plenty more good days ahead.

No comments: