Saturday, July 16, 2011

I Was That Close

To taking some homemade treats to my friends at the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit today to "celebrate" my second anniversary of meeting them.

Then I remembered that I was diagnosed with a MRSA infection a couple weeks ago (no idea how that came about, although I have some theories) and am finishing up my antibiotic regimen for that. Didn't want to take anything else down there except for some treats, so I'll wait and maybe go down on the anniversary of my release from there.

The MRSA thing, not a big concern. I initially thought it was some "adult puberty" in the form of a pimple on my forehead. Then, I realized that its initial appearance was a scab. Then, I thought it could be a spider bite. Was feeling pretty fatigued, headache that wouldn't go away and some cold chills in the middle of the night. I investigated on the internet - when will I learn NOT to do that. Went to the doctor and gave them my diagnosis and they gave me their diagnosis instead. I didn't ask for a second opinion. Treatment called for an antibiotic twice daily for 21 days and using a soap that medical professionals use to scrub my fingernails and forehead area.

My question for my oncologist, when I see here in a week and a half, will be, "Even though it has been over a year and a half, is my immune system still somewhat compromised?" We'll see.

Totally forgot last week that I have a regularly scheduled CT scan on Monday - until a reminder popped up on my computer calender to pick up the "Banana Smoothie" contrast solution yesterday. I actually called the hospital to confirm I had an appt. on Monday. I do. Would make sense that I do since I have an appt. with the doctor on the 28th to review the results of the scan.

A co-worker, who was very supportive of me during my "sabbatical" was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in May and passed way on July 6. Was a bit of a shock and was especially difficult for him and his family as he was a few years younger than me, had a wife and two sons (one in high school and one in college). Made me start thinking as to whether a major illness is more difficult for a person in a relationship or for a single person. I have thoughts to share on that. Will be interested in yours. Will make it the subject of an upcoming post.

No comments: