Monday, April 29, 2013

"Two Roads Diverged.."*


The picture of the dog above comes with a story. Early one evening during the spring of 1977, at the age of about six weeks, this dog found himself walking along a ditch between two fields that had been recently planted with corn. How he arrived there, no one really knows. As he walked along the ditch and came to the end of the fields where they met a gravel road, he had a choice to turn left or right. Or he had another option in which after veering to the right, he would then veer to the left, following a gravel ramp, and continue in his original direction towards the setting sun. The third option was the most difficult as it involved ascending a short, steep incline that ultimately led to an open door leading into a large barn. Normally, at that point in the evening, the barn door was rarely open. This particular evening however, there was a teen and an adult male working in the barn. Who saw who first also remains open for discussion, but when the eyes of all 3 characters met, their eyes met with curiosity and not fear. So curious was the dog, that he continued toward the two males and as he reached where they were sitting, he laid down to rest next to the younger of the two males. I'll never forget that moment.


Late in the spring of 2012, I was made aware of an individual who was preparing to undergo a stem cell transplant procedure for his cancer diagnosis. His family, being made aware that I had undergone a similar process, asked that I reach out to him. I did. When I met him and learned his diagnosis history and treatment, I learned that he was diagnosed 10 years earlier and had been dealing with recurrences and new treatments for those 10 years. He was tired and frustrated. After his stem cell procedure, he had to make another decision to undergo a dramatic surgical procedure that would involve a 50% possibility that he would not make it through the surgery with his life. He chose the surgery because, in spite of all he had been through, he still wanted to have the opportunity to live. 


He survived the surgery, but within a few months after his surgery, a tree limb fell on his car, totalling the car. Even though that was insult to injury, at this very minute, he is alive and well and enjoying his life with his family. To be candid, I don't know how he was able to tolerate what he did for as long as he did, or make the tough decision that he did. I can't say I know how I would decide in that situation. The doctors have told him if he has another recurrence, there is nothing else they can do. However, his response to that is, "Based on what you know now. There may be something else that comes along between now and then." Exactly!


The character in the photo above chose one of three options that spring night after being in an earlier situation in which he may not have lived another minute. Whatever the reason he traveled into the barn, I know that because he did, he enjoyed a rich life for another 12 years. I know because of his decision, my life was enriched. I like to think that the expression on his face in the picture above is one of happiness and gratitude.  


When I think of him and the person I spoke of above, I find answers to the decisions I would make if there was a recurrence.


"And that has made all the difference."*


*"The Road Not Taken" - Robert Frost

No comments: