Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"It's A Major Award"









Well, maybe I guess.

"Cure" Magazine (a magazine I highly recommend for anyone going through the cancer experience - be it a patient or a caregiver) sponsors an annual "Extraordinary Healer Award" that will be presented this year at the Oncology Nursing Society’s 35th Annual Congress in San Diego on May 13th-16th.

You can go here to get details.

See any names you recognize?

They called me today from their offices and notified me. On the other end of the phone, as part of a three way conversation, was my honoree. I am very humbled and excited that my essay was selected as a finalist. Most of all, I am excited for the person I nominated. I will tell you that I encountered many great people in the process. They have all been golden. Annette was the gold standard.

I am waiting for the details of the travel itinerary, etc., but they said that I would be flying out on the morning of the 13th, attending the ceremony on the evening of the 13th and then I have the day to myself on the 14th. I think I would be flying back on the 15th. Folks have recommended that I stay a little longer, and that's a great idea, but logistics prohibit it.

As far as posting the essay here, I want to make sure it is permitted for me to "publish" it and also, I'm not sure that Annette has seen it yet, so I want to keep it under wraps until May 13.

When the folks at "Cure" asked me if I was excited, I told them, "One day after a chemo treatment, one of the chemo nurses gave me a big hug before I left the treatment room. I looked at another patient in the room and said, 'If I knew life was going to be this good with cancer, I would have done it a long time ago.' A trip to San Diego is even more icing on the cake!"

That's my humor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Greg. No matter what happens you and Annette are winners in my book!

- Judith

Anonymous said...

Greg Frazee!!!! This is so cool. One the things that is so excellent about you is that you take your appreciation for the good people in your life to the next level. Here's another example. Thanks for recognizing Annette.

Kathleen said...

What an honor for you and for your nurse. So many people go through life without ever saying thanks to those people who have done special things for us or for others. You are a special person.

Greg said...

@ Judith: "It's an honor to just be nominated.." Forget that, I want her to win the big prize!

Anonymous said...

Think about how much your essay
--and your life -- mean to Annette and professionals like her who can exprience the highs and lows along with patients, friends and family members. It must be so encouraging to be recognized for her work and for helping you survive. Way to go Greg ... and Annette!