Sunday, April 11, 2010

Slowly We Turn...

The most asked question I hear (and ask myself) these days is, "What would you do if you had a relapse?" My latest response has been, "It depends on what day you ask me."

In lighter moments, I have responded that I would explore a "cash option" with the insurance company. I doubt that's an option.

What I have concluded is this. It would be a sign of total disrespect to those who have helped or supported me in any way, to not discuss further treatment options if necessary. To not want to continue with treatment would be a statement that their efforts to date were unappreciated.

Now that I have a better understanding of treatments, processes, etc., I would take my time and be more in depth with research and questions of what was ahead of me. I would evaluate treatment side effects, success rates, and future physical impact of any treatments I have received to date and those that would be ahead of me. I would then assemble all of that information and present it to a close circle of "advisers" to seek professional, personal and spiritual input. Then, I would make decisions. The final decision needs to rest with the patient.

Most likely, when you have had a discussion about a person going through treatment for cancer, you have heard the expression, "They have their good days and they have their bad days," in regards to their physical status. That same statement also applies to their mental status during and after treatment. The trick is to increase the gaps between the bad days.

Know that by posting this, I'm not trying to prepare you for anything that is looming. I'm simply posting my thoughts about a question I've been asked with frequency and sometimes have not responded well when asked.

That's how it works.

No comments: