Saturday, January 22, 2011

Greg, Not George

As in "Curious."

Another scan has come and gone and I have no idea as to what the scan from Monday showed. Sometimes I'm a "no news is good news" kind of guy. That's how I regard scans. If I was in a relationship with someone, or was a caregiver to someone who had a scan, my outlook would be different.

My doctor and nurses communicate with me that way. We know that I won't call in for a scan result and that if all is clear, they don't need to call me. When I see my doctor in February, I'll ask her about it, but until then, I'll let it go. I almost called them yesterday, but I got sidetracked. I call that God's circumstantial will.

On another note, I'm elated about the progress of Gabrielle Giffords. I know that she is receiving the best in health care. But I wonder, what if it was someone in a less socio-economically advantaged situation? It's really not a "what if" scenario. It has happened to others, I'm certain. What decisions do they and their caregivers have to make based on ability to pay?

For myself, as I have stated before, I will have to pay out of pocket my maximum deductible/co-pay every year for the next few years. As a matter of fact, I reached it the other day when I had my CT scan (bills at around $12,000 - $14,000 each time). I won't have to pay that amount, but I will be responsible for a significant portion of it. My annual out of pocket is manageable, but it's not something I want to do the rest of my life. If it wasn't manageable (and I'm sure it isn't for a lot of folks), I would have to decide whether or not to show up for the follow up care. That is the only alternative I can see. I do know that if you are making some sort of regular payment against your outstanding balance, the health care provider can not touch your assets. But, they can deny you service.

If you disagree with a solution, it's OK to do so. Come to the conversation with another solution.

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I agree with you completely about Rep. Giffords. I think it is a bit ironic that one of the parties is trying to rescind the health care bill which has helped millions of people while they have an outstanding health plan which she is able to use to receive this outstanding care. Not that she shouldn't receive fabulous care. It is just ironic. They don't seem to see that.

Sarah said...

At the risk of totally hijacking your blog and/or making everyone else who reads it mad, I will politely refrain from a debate about healthcare in this country. =)