Thursday, July 22, 2010

"Make Me Smile"

This article was posted on an e-newsletter that I received from the Massey Cancer Center in Richmond VA.

Great article. I have never met the patient the article speaks about, but Dr. Toor was my primary doctor when I was there and I was visited regularly by the other two doctors that are mentioned. In addition, I suspect I know who the Nurse Practitioner is that was quoted in the article and he is also a credit to his profession. If he is one and the same, a story I have about him is that he was my nurse a few times while I was there as he volunteered to fill in during some days when they were short staffed.

And of course, the nursing staff. The heavy lifters and the compassion givers.

Another group that can go unnoticed is the support staff. I'm speaking of pre-transplant coordinators, the counselors, the administrative staff and the folks in clinical research. If they didn't do what they do (and do it as well as they do), it would be rough going for all (doctors, nurses and patients) who rely on their efforts.

For everyone in the process, I give thanks for who they are and what they do. I'm proud of them.

The stories I could tell you about all of the folks I encountered.

If you ask, I will.

No comments: