Sunday, July 18, 2010

One Of These Things...

Valerie, who wrote the winning CURE Magazine essay and whose blog I follow, sent me a link to a story from an Indianapolis TV station about someone named Greg Frazee. She came across it because she had noticed that folks had logged onto her site while searching my name.

Sorry, wasn't me. I'm older than 45.

Today, I sang in a quartet in church. I was privileged to sing with 3 other folks who are extremely talented.

I was reminded that last year, on this Sunday in July, I met three other folks who are extremely talented. I had met all three of them prior to that day, but I didn't know they were part of a "pack."

I enjoyed them as professionals and as human beings.

One of them replaced my blood soaked bandages after my port was inserted, the other was there in the room when my stem cells were returned to me. She followed through to make sure they were no delays or snags in the process. The third, provided me with Popsicles, which I learned was standard operating procedure, in advance of the stem cell infusion to minimize any side effects I would experience in my mouth due to the infusion. On the day I was released, she trimmed my hair (what was left of it) so I wouldn't look like a freak with a bad haircut.

On the day that I "met" them as a group, they gathered forces to critique my pajama bottom and shirt coordination. They executed a drawing of the patterns I was wearing that day and wrote the words, "Call the fashion police" on the drawing and then taped it to my hospital room door.

From then on, when I knew they were on duty, I would wear the most mismatched ensemble that I could. It accomplished several things. It guaranteed a visit from them even if they weren't my assigned nurse that day, it made them laugh, and it took the edge off of my stay.

"Laughter is the closest thing to the grace of God." - Source unknown

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I will spend the rest of the day thinking about you in your pajamas. I don't know that that is a good thing.

- J

Valerie Bosselman said...

I love your writing! I laugh every time!