Saturday, February 6, 2010

Next Up On The Card




















Bone Marrow Biopsy: Feb 9
PET Scan: Late March (not yet scheduled)
Next Doc Visit: May 6

Discussed with the doctor about the note on my testing sheet to have pulmonary function testing and secondary cancer screening on a regular basis. We weren't sure what that was about as I had pulmonary function testing before the treatment at MCV this summer to determine if lung function was in good enough shape to handle what was to come via chemotherapy. Since I had a colonoscopy*, we weren't sure what secondary cancer I should be screened for. Connected with the post transplant coordinator at MCV and got the following response:

"The secondary cancer screening is added onto our protocols for referring oncologists, as well as for the patients followed in our clinic, basically to remind us of routine follow-ups that need to be done. You and your doctor can discuss what you need based on your physical exam. You are at higher risk for secondary cancers and certain disorders due to the treatments you have received for your lymphoma. This is why it is so vitally important that you continue with annual visits for your skin, thyroid, prostate, colon, etc.

Pulmonary function tests are recommended because of the specific chemotherapy you received for transplant because it can cause pulmonary fibrosis usually seen within the first 5 years after receiving it."


This is a description of pulmonary fibrosis.

There you go.

I'm going to do a series of posts soon about communication during the process. It will be about how to communicate with a patient, how a patient can communicate with the doctors/nurses, etc.

Folks have told me I seem to have gained a lot of knowledge since day 1.

Just scratching the surface.

* It amuses me that when I do a spell check on my post, one of the suggested spellings for "colonoscopy" is "kaleidoscope."

1 comment:

Stevo said...

While I find your comment that spell check suggests "colonoscopy" is really "kaleidoscope" funny, I'm kinda sad that "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" will now never be the same for me.
"Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes"