Friday, February 19, 2010

"We Plow The Fields And Scatter The Good Seed On The Land"













Looking at snow on the ground, it's hard to believe that in about a month, trees will be budding and in my town of Richmond VA, forsythia could possibly be blooming.

Hunter has blood work and a scan today and Bo has the same next Wednesday. Hunter's mother posted a note about the anxiety they have about today and Bo's mother has expressed the same. The one year "anniversaries" of their diagnoses have been recent, or are in the near future.

When I had my pulmonary function test last week there was a part of the test when I had to hold my breath and then exhale as forcefully as I could only after I was told I could exhale. There was another part when I was instructed to exhale in small puffs into a tube that was obstructed. I will have a pulmonary function test every six months. In the time between those tests, I'm allowed to breathe normally.

That's what I think it's like to go to the scans. You hold your breath and wait for the results before you allow yourself to start breathing normally again.

It is good to know that cancer is no longer in your body and the scans and testing are the way to find out.

It's a mental conditioning thing to get over the anxiety. However, it's not a switch that clicks on or off.

It's a seed that is planted and has to be given the time and care to germinate and grow.

(title credit - Stephen Schwartz)

No comments: