Thursday, March 24, 2011

And I Paraphrase

I had a chance to hear Dr. George Church speak at The Richmond Forum last Saturday night. He is a soft-spoken man; very intelligent and very wise.

The statement he made that most struck me was when he was asked, "Do you believe in God?", he replied (and I paraphrase), "Most of my colleagues are atheists, but I do believe in God. I find what I do does not draw me away from God, but rather it increases my awe of God and creation."

Well said, Doctor.

I find myself with the same vision. I don't struggle with scientific research and the discoveries that are made. I have no problem with theories. If they conflict with Old Testament stories, I'm intrigued. However, that is not why I believe I am here. I have no interest in debating the details of the stories that are shared among numerous faith traditions. I'm here to, well, this comes to mind...


Blessed are the poor in spirit, 
   for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
Blessed are those who mourn, 
   for they will be comforted. 

Blessed are the meek, 
   for they will inherit the earth. 
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 
   for they will be filled. 
Blessed are the merciful, 
   for they will be shown mercy. 
Blessed are the pure in heart, 
   for they will see God. 
Blessed are the peacemakers, 
   for they will be called children of God. 
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, 
   for theirs is the kingdom of heaven



I really don't read anything in there that instructs me to debate nonsensical topics. I was talking to someone yesterday whose daughter wants to go to college and study genomics. Her daughter has a pretty strong faith structure and is constantly asked about the "conflict" between her chosen field of study and her faith. I told her mother about Dr. Church's comment above. 

Here's my take...If some day, God reveals that we really did descend from one cell organisms (and I have to accept the humility of my ancestry), I will be amazed at how it happened. If God snapped his fingers like David Blaine and made things instantly happen, I'm good with that too.

Whatever.

No comments: