Friday, March 11, 2011

Maybe, Because....

I feel that you need to watch this video. It makes me happy to watch it.

I'm conflicted about posting it today because of the news from Japan. However, the video speaks to me as to why the news from Japan concerns us. There will be a lot of clean up work to do, bones to mend,structures to reconstruct, and fears to be calmed. Most of all, we grieve because there will also be bodies to find. Bodies that transported lives that were cut short.

The video is from a show titled, "Grand Hotel." I remembering seeing this performance on the Tony Awards some years back. A year or so later, I had the opportunity to see the show on Broadway. The only reason I wanted to see the show was because of this clip. I remember flying into New York and arriving at my hotel a little after 6PM. My hotel was about a 30 minute walk from the theatre. I called the theatre and asked them if they had one ticket for the evening's performance. They did and I was seated about 9 rows back from the stage in the center of the row. I will never forget that evening.

In the video, the character portrayed by Michael Jeter is ill and facing the end of his days. And yet, he takes part in a celebration.

Processing the news from Japan reminds us of our mortality and how there are things in this world over which we have no control.Yet, it is still our world in which to live.

We can say the world is going to hell in a hand basket, but to say it means we are holding the basket.

Or, we can help others live and live again.

Maybe even help them celebrate life.

No comments: