Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It's A Wrap

To put a lid on yesterday's post....

I find that once the reminder of the event happens and then once I think about it and finally, I process and resolve it, I'm over it. I move on. I don't come back to visit it. For instance, the next ride on my bicycle, will simply be a ride on my bicycle. Fair enough. As I said yesterday, there's other events to come and I know it. I won't shy away from them and no one has to protect me from them. They will be like bad party guests. They'll show up. I'll interact with them. They'll leave and I won't invite them back for another party.

Some excerpts for you to peruse from something I found on the website of The National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship:

"...Another emotional concern for many cancer survivors is grief. You may be surprised that grief is included in this program for survivors of cancer. Many people think of grief only as a reaction to a death. But, we can actually feel grief after any kind of loss. This is important, because, as you know, there are many losses that can come with cancer. When they first heard their diagnosis of cancer, some survivors describe feeling that they lost their sense of who they were as a healthy, well person....Many survivors have gotten so used to coping with lots of changes, big or small, that they don't allow themselves time to deal with the natural feelings of sadness or anger that accompany losses. Too often, people close to these survivors don't either. Often, friends and caregivers are trying so hard to say only positive things that they may not even want to think about anything negative. So, they may not recognize that survivors might be feeling angry or sad. You might even find yourself feeling that you can only think or say positive things.

However, experts agree that it is helpful to let out your feelings of grief so that you can get past these feelings and start to enjoy the positive feelings and experiences in life again."








A Swiss man, on holiday in Dublin, needed directions. He was standing outside Davy Byrne's pub when he saw two youths walking by so he stops them and asks, 'Entschuldigung, koennen Sie Deutsch sprechen?'

The two lads look at each other blankly and stare back at him.

'Excusez-moi, parlez vous Français?' He tries.

The two continue to stare.

'Parlare Italiano?' Still absolutely no response from the two lads.

'Hablan ustedes Espanol?' The Dublin lads remain totally silent.

The Swiss guy walks off extremely disappointed and downhearted that he had not been understood. One of the boys turns to the second and says, 'Y'know, maybe we should learn a foreign language!'

'Why?' says the youth, 'That guy knew four languages, and it didn't do him any good!'

No comments: