Saturday, March 20, 2010

"What We Have Here...."
















Heard back from the insurance company about the big potential bill for the bone marrow biopsy lab work.

The clinic has used the lab in question before because they provide a quicker response and there is an additional test they do on the bone marrow that the "in network" lab does not do.

My question: "So, they have used the out of network lab for my previous two biopsies and there hasn't been an issue, so why is there a potential issue on this one?"

Insurance company: "We spoke with an administrator in your doctor's office and there should not be any additional cost to you. Do not worry about it unless you get a bill."

Me: "Here's how it will work for me. Let's say I get a bill from the lab. I will return it without payment and state that because of the precedent of no prior additional charges, I don't feel that I should be responsible for this bill."

Insurance company: "That's exactly the process you would want to follow."

Me: "In that event and with this knowledge, we are on the same page."

One needs to have the courage to advocate for themselves. Especially since,left unquestioned, this line item by itself would total close to $100,000 over the next 5 years. If I'm going to be having that much money hanging over my head, I'd rather spend it on silly stuff. Oh wait, I meant donate it to a worthy cause. Yeh, that's it.

No comments: