Friday, March 26, 2010

We Have To Talk




















As promised, a picture from my CT scan. It is a "slice" from my abdominal area. I've labeled some things for you. It is from the approximate area where the alien may have resided. I don't know what the item I've marked with a "?" is. I wonder. I haven't reviewed these images with the doctor yet, so I don't know. When I do see her next (in May), I'll ask her.

What does this scan show? It shows if anything looks odd in there. The doctor is able to view it and determine if the organs look abnormal or if there is anything unnatural in there. It's the type of scan I had when I was first admitted to the hospital.

I haven't heard from the doctor if the scan showed anything abnormal. If it did, I'm sure I would have heard by now. She did tell me that if I hadn't heard anything from her office by mid next week, to give them a call.

I was scheduled for a PET/CT scan instead. The PET scan shows signs of any metabolic activity in addition to what a CT scan shows. The PET scan would show signs of any cancerous activity before it got out of hand. However, the PET scan was denied by the insurance company....two days before it was supposed to occur. Never mind that the PET scan had been scheduled for at least a month and a half.

It's easy to beat up the insurance companies for denying tests and procedures. What I take issue with is their notification process. They called me at home and they called me on my cell phone. I remember when they called me on my cell. I was in a meeting and did not take the call. Figured they would leave a message. They didn't. They didn't leave a message on my home phone either. Instead, they called my doctor and advised her they were denying the PET scan. After getting the insurance company to approve at least a CT scan, my doctor's office then called me and passed on the news.

I'm open for education. However, if a decision is going to be made, please explain why. Please let me understand that if it were the actual person making the decision that needed to have follow up testing, they would agree that the more exact testing would not be required for themselves, either. I'm sure the people making the telephone calls for the insurance company are not the ones making the decision.

Let's not kid ourselves. There are folks who label themselves strong believers in their chosen faith (and proudly wear the badge they have bestowed on themselves....That's right, I'm calling you out! If you want to call me out, go for it. That's what the comments section on this blog is for.) who are opposed to any form of discussion on making health care available and affordable to all. Their belief is the market can make health care affordable for all and that everyone can receive the same treatment. That's not true.

Until you are able to show me how a poverty level child with brain cancer can receive the very same treatment that the child of the richest person in the world will receive, I will not listen to your rhetoric. "How can it be done?" you ask. If we are truly brothers and sisters in our belief in a higher being, we will let that unite us rather than letting our political choices divide us. I have no answers. I have ideals based in my faith beliefs. I'm willing to discuss how to find answers based on those ideals.

Here's a good article about of what I speak.

My next project is to inquire of the folks at MCV if they are aware of the insurance company's resistance to covering the testing that was recommended for the next 5 years. I'm sure it's a new wrinkle. As a matter of fact, every person in the hospital that I mentioned the scenario to, said, "That's been happening a lot lately. We've seen it more in the past month or so than we have ever seen."

When I was first diagnosed, there was only so much information I could, or wanted to, absorb. Now, I'm good. In the words of Audrey II, "Feed me!"

I've said before, it's not all fireworks and sunny days after you get the all clear. You take steps to get your "normal" back. I've done well. It was a challenge for a month or two for myself, but I've hit a nice stride and actually believe I can speed up a little bit. However, getting tripped in the middle of your stride can set you back a little bit. You choose how to deal with them.

I've been told I have a cold stare that can be a bit intimidating. I think I know when it crosses my face. It's when I'm annoyed or challenged. It's when I'm realizing I need to battle something head on. When that happens, I retreat and prepare my game plan. Then, I unleash the storm.

The Christian faith observes the most significant of their holidays next weekend. To some in the faith, there is sadness associated with the holiday. I see it as holiday of joy. I see it as a holiday of defeating that which is considered "the end." It's a holiday that says, "No matter what comes your way, there WILL be good that follows." Maybe, it's a good spot on the calendar for everyone to quit staring at each other.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Zing!

Kathleen said...

AMEN! Social justice is not a perversion of the gospel, it IS the gospel.