Monday, March 1, 2010

Pressure Gradients















I was looking at a weather map last week. In particular, was looking at the storm that affected the Northeast United States. The winds were very high in that area and they were also pretty gusty in Richmond. Because of my meteorology science elective in college, I could look at the map and tell that the winds were of high speed without even stepping outside. I could tell because of the "pressure gradients." Here's an explanation of how they work. It's a natural process of filling in a void.

I wonder sometimes if I "did it right." I.E., When I was first diagnosed, did I ask the right questions, did I pick the right doctor, did I get the best treatment for me? I am satisfied with my outcome and current status. But still.....

As I've mentioned before, I'm a "gut feeling" kind of guy. Without her permission, consultation or input, I will make the statement that my doctor and I get along just fine. She has gotten used to me and accepts what I call humor. She may not think it's funny, but she accepts it. That's the way it is. Are we similar personalities? Absolutely not. I think one of us is a high pressure system and the other is a low pressure system. However, when we interact, it's natural and comfortable. Because of that, I trusted her early in the process.

I now know more than I did when I was diagnosed. By no means, am I an authority. Looking back, I would have asked for more information up front, just to satisfy my own curiosity and to be better informed. I would encourage anyone to do that. I took a wind up watch apart once, just to see what was in there. If it were possible, I would take a peek inside of me just to see what the remaining alien looks like. The only problem with taking apart the watch and the self-administered examination is that I wasn't and wouldn't be able to reassemble things as they were. One reason I was kind of OK with the potential surgery early this year, I was going to request to see what they took out without having to do the reassembly myself.

After church yesterday, I stopped by the grocery store. The cashier asked me, "Are you on your way to church?" I replied that I was coming from there. She said, "I bet I know what your sermon was about." I asked her to fill me in. She replied, "I had a dream last night that preachers everywhere had to change their sermons this week and they all preached about the end times because of all the recent earthquakes."

I told her that the sermon at my church was about being patient while waiting (Apologies to my pastor if that's not what he wanted me to hear, but that's the message that I heard and it was timely for me).

Even though I was affected by the high winds on Friday, I've learned that they are part of nature and that they can act as a pruning and shaping device.

In my case, I'm working to be comfortable with the pressure gradients in my life and accept them for the miracle they are.

No comments: