Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"I Mean When You Got Friends Like Mine"














A friend of mine, who is a cancer survivor, sent me the following suggestions in an e-mail the other day after I asked her about the anxiety phase that happens after you get the "all clear." Thought they were too good not to share.

Distractionfind something to keep your mind off your worries.

Self-talkreassure yourself that you have done everything that the doctors have advised you of. It’s going to be okay.

Thoughtswhen you have thoughts of fear, consciously tell yourself to STOP, and make yourself think of something else.

Remindersdo you have any physical reminders make your cancer experience come to mind? Get rid of them. (mine was those clothes that I can’t wear now that I’m on Tamoxafin—things that are too small. It really felt good to get rid of them!)

Conversation - Nip upsetting conversation about cancer in the bud. You know when you have this screaming from your soul, and you know that others are trying to be “nice”? Answer them politely, and change the subject.

I don’t claim to be an expert, but these are recommended tactics for being at peace after becoming a SURVIVOR! You’ll think about things less the more time lapses between your meeting with the Alien.

I think she done good. I read one of my own blog postings in which I said I talked to my doctor during the time period prior to the stem cell transplant. In that conversation, I told her I was 30 yards out and driving for a score to beat the alien.

Sometimes I forget I called a Quarterback sneak at the goal line. In this case, it's probably even OK to run up the score.

2 comments:

skippy said...

First! Good strategies. I recommend exercise for anxiety as well. Nothing like a little lactic acid pain to take your mind off of what ails ya.

Greg said...

Correct again, Skippy! I enjoy my 2 mile walks through the neighborhood because 1) My neighborhood is relatively flat, 2) It is good exercise 3) I listen to good music on my I-Pod 4) It is also good "process stuff" time.