Saturday, January 23, 2010

I Won't Forget To Remember

Was changing my sheets on the bed over the weekend and in the rotation of sheets to put on the bed, the next set of sheets were the sheets that were on my bed when I came home from my hospital stay at MCV.

Not such a big deal you may think. However, when I was "reacquainting" myself with my house after I came home from the hospital, my friend who brought me home was getting a kick out of watching me look at all the cleaning and repairs that had been done at my house by my friends who came to "work day" at my house before I came home from the hospital. After I had walked through the downstairs, my friend said, "Go upstairs and look in your bedroom."

One of the "repairs" that was made was the removal and disposal of my "manly" bed comforter and the purchase of a new comforter and a new set of sheets. Those are the sheets that I put on my bed last night.

It made me smile to know that there were people who not only came in to do a spring cleaning, but did extra things over and beyond. Even now, several months later, I still shake my head in amazement.

There were many kind acts that were directed to me as a result of my recent history that I don't think I have to forget about. The above anecdote is just one of them.

They are a collection of kindness, compassion, teaching moments, and non-prescribed (but essential) medicine.

“Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” - Seneca / Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD (www.thinkexist.com)

2 comments:

skippy said...

Would have loved to have been a part of the work day. Instead, I'll just take you to breakfast next time. Oh and First!

Greg said...

Ah Skippy, everyone else wishes they could post as much cool stuff and good words as you have on this blog.