Wednesday, January 6, 2010

That'll Be Me

Called Virginia Blood Services yesterday to present an idea I had to them. My idea was to ask their permission to allow me to walk into donation centers every so often and personally thank donors while they are in the process of donating. Still working on that concept with them.

However, when you donate blood with Virginia Blood Services, within a few days after your donation, you receive a phone call with a recorded voice thanking you for your donation. The person on the recording is someone who directly benefited from your donation or has a relationship with someone else who has.

I told them how I was a regular platelet donor for 10 years prior to being diagnosed and then after being diagnosed, I was a recipient of platelets, plasma and whole blood. They asked if I would like to do one of the telephone recordings and as of this minute, we are working on the script and I will be making the recording in the next week or so.

I'm kind of tickled about it. It's an activity that will help me stay on the horse for awhile.

Another activity on the horizon....let's just say, "Poor Nurse Practitioner that is doing the bone marrow biopsy on Friday. She can't see what's coming." Just to calm your nerves, it won't be indecent, but will be very funny. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet no patient has ever done it before.

3 comments:

skippy said...

Here's my cut:

Hi, this is Greg. Even though this may sound like an impersonal recorded "Thank you for donating blood" message from Virginia Blood Services, this is ACTUALLY a very personal and heartfelt "Thank you for donating blood" message from a cancer survior who needed quite a few of you to help me in my battle. Thanks to you and others like you I was successful and continue to be. Please accept my thanks and continue to visit Virginia Blood Services so that others can benefit from the miracle of your blood. Thanks again, Greg.

Anonymous said...

Suggestion:

Hi, this is Greg. I am a real person and a cancer survivor. For 10 years pre-diagnosis, I donated platelets. And for the past year I've received support from Virginia Blood Services. Thanks to you and other donors like you I am living a meaningful life. Please accept my thanks and continue to support Virginia Blood Services and those in need. Thanks again, Greg.

Sarah said...

I think you should do it in your Jimmy Stewart voice. =)