Friday, January 29, 2010

Isobars And Biopsies

In Richmond VA, we got a pretty good amount of snow over the weekend. Areas north of here were projected to receive a dusting and received several inches.

Mark Twain said, "Everybody complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it.”

I took a meterology class in college and while I'm not NOAA certified, I do understand that the whole weather forecasting thing is difficult. Weather systems can seem to be very predictable and then, Kablooie!, they take a different path or they diminish or intensify.

Which brings me to my point.

I read on a medical website that 1 million cancer cells are about the size of a BB (you know, what you shoot out the barrel of a "Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time").

I'm amazed that even though all the testing devices seem pretty technologically advanced, there is room for error in the whole cancer testing and diagnosis process. I'm grateful that my folks nailed it and continue to do so. It can be frustrating as a patient if doctors delay making a decision on treatment pending further testing, but I think I understand why they do.

However, as a patient, you are not a puck on the ice in all of this. You can take ownership and be a part of the team. Although your life may seem to be in the hands of your caregivers, it's still YOUR life. I encourage any patients and their caregivers to take active roles in their diagnosis and treatment and fully understand what is happening. I have yet to meet a doctor or nurse in all of this that wasn't willing to explain or clarify any statements I did not understand.

There are a ton of resources available to assist with questions you may have. For me, in the initial part of all of this, I was overwhelmed with diagnosis, testing schedules, what's next, etc., that I didn't take the time to explore some of those resources. Currently, I'm talking to folks in the profession to figure out ways to help newly diagnosed patients obtain the information in portions that are manageable.

If you are a former patient or caregiver, I'm open to your suggestions.

On another note, we do this cool thing at my church during the Prayer of Concerns where you can say someone's name out loud that you want to have remembered in prayer.

Here are some names I'd like you to remember:
Pat, Susan, Bo, Hunter, Ellie, Hal, and Marc

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greg,
This is one of your best blogs...positive, informative & just well thought out and well written.