Saturday, November 21, 2009

Maybe Because

It's about the doctors, nurses and friends who helped me through the last year.

I was on the phone with one of the nurses from the clinic the other day and at the end of the conversation I said, "Congratulations to you." She didn't know of what I was speaking. I told her, "Your work contributed to my diagnosis on Monday and you should be congratulated for that." She thought for a moment and said, "Thank you. I guess you're right." I liked where her head was. Seems to me that she spends so much time with concern for a patient and then watching them celebrate when they get an "all clear," that she forgets to celebrate her own work. Maybe.

Monday evening, I made a trip to the grocery store. While there, I was in the middle of a bit of a traffic jam inside the store waiting for people to move out of one aisle so that those of us behind them could continue with our shopping. All of a sudden, a gentleman cut through all of us and went on to the next aisle he was targeting. My initial reaction was that of considering his level of extreme rudeness. Then I thought, "What if he just got a cancer diagnosis today? What really is going through his mind?"

That's what I promised to tell you about the other day. Chances are, statistically there is at least one other person, in an area where there are a large group of people gathered, who is dealing with a significant event in their life. It may be the person who cuts you off in the grocery store or displays some other action that annoys you. You don't know.

I read The Bible as one of the books to help me with my attitude towards others. I will never claim to be a perfect person as a result of the simple fact that I read it. If I was truly perfect, at least one of the books in there would be about me. To me, the overall message of The Bible comes down to two words. "Be Nice."

Maybe we analyze, complicate, judge and pontificate more than we simplify.

Parvis imbutus tentabis grandia tutus

No comments: