Thursday, November 19, 2009

Will The Madness End?

Confirming that the blog will not end anytime in the immediate future. Reason is, there are still some steps to take in all of this and I want the information out there for folks to know if they need it. For instance......

Found out today how we move on to the re-immunization stage. There will be a "titer test" in my near future. Here's an explanation from a reliable source. For myself, we will be looking to see if any of the following antibodies are still in me: Rubella, Rubeola, Measles, Mumps, Tetanus, Polio, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B Core Antibody.

Even though the type of chemo in the last round of chemo I received effectively does wipe out your immune system, there still may be some of the antibodies in my system. Interesting.

Also, I should know by early next week if there will be any recommendations to proceed with radiation treatment. As I have shared in conversation with others, even if the doctor (who I trust), recommends radiation treatment, I won't immediately sign off on it. He and I will review the location of the area that would be treated in relation to other organs in the body, the margin of error and if there is error, what the potential side effects would be. I'm not doing it out of resistance. It's from the knowledge I've gained. I don't regret moving ahead as quickly as I did last fall. I trusted my doctor early in the process. I was ignorant of what was ahead of me, but feel that my intuition served me well a year ago.

It is important for the patient to be well informed and to take an active role in the process. Caregivers appreciate it. For example, today I was following up on the timing of my titer testing with the clinic and the folks at MCV. I asked one of the nurses, "Am I being a bad patient by calling for the appointment to be set up and then asking for paper work to be sent from one location to another?" She confirmed that I was being a patient that they appreciate. There's a line one CAN cross and it's important to have the communication and self evaluation process in place so that there are no lapses or misunderstandings. It's a bit overwhelming at first, and depending on the level of activity required by all involved, it can start to make more sense as you travel further into the process. It's OK to not know what's going on. It's not OK to not care what's going on.

I'm not perfect at it yet. Nor will I be. I just want to get better at it. That's how I'll fight cancer in the future...by being good enough to help other's through their fight.

Remember a good friend of mine who is scheduled for some surgery on Friday. She's stood front and center for me since last year.

No comments: