Friday, June 18, 2010

Bo - Part 2

Indulge me. I didn't say enough about what it was like to meet Bo on Sunday. After you finish reading, you'll see why he's one of my role models.

I called his parents as I was on my way to them to let them know what time I would be arriving. His mother replied, "OK, we'll be waiting on the porch for you." I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about meeting Bo, since he was a total stranger, and as kids can be honest, there was no rule about him having to like me.

When I pulled up in front of their house, there he was, sitting on the porch, working in one of his coloring books. His parents asked him why he insisted on sitting on the porch and he replied, "We told him we'd be waiting on the porch when he got here." When I arrived, he waved at me and went inside to tell his parents I was there.

We went inside and started to chat. Bo is a very polite young man. He hung right in there listening to adults talk. At one point, he walked over to his mother and whispered something in her ear. She replied, "Ask him." He came over to me and asked, "Would you like to play Wii with me?" How cool was that!? I already was surrounded by North Carolina hospitality and Bo added another layer. You've seen the Wii picture. I had a big time.

I feel he and I have a bond. I regret the reason we have a bond, but I will never regret the power of that bond.

I remember walking into the chemo room the first day and not wanting to interact with any of the other patients. I had my cancer and they had theirs. There was no reason to share. We all had our own loads to carry and, frankly, I didn't want to carry anyone else's and they didn't need to carry mine. I was wrong.

If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Al
- Paul Simon

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

So....what games did you play on Wii? It must have been fun to play together...how badly did he beat you??? LOL