Sunday, June 20, 2010

I Love A Parade

Parade Magazine published a feature today on "Cancer In America." I invite you to check out the online content because there are some articles and features that did not appear in the printed version.

I especially appreciated the "Living After Cancer" article. I invite you to check it out also. Some of the things in that article rang true with me and are happening with me right now. Namely, the fatigue and neuropathy related stuff (not severe cramping, but I do get cramping sometimes when I am in bed). When I read that, frankly I was relieved to read that some of that stuff is normal. Whew.

Being a single guy, there are some cryogenic things going on in my freezer. Today, I opened a bowl that I had in there, but had forgotten what it was. It was some pasta that I made before I went into the hospital last summer. It was like stepping into a time machine and whisking back to last summer. I can tell you that all cryogenic things related to that time frame are now out of my house and in the super container (that's what we call the big, city supplied, trash cans in Richmond VA). Yet, another exorcism.

Hang with me the next month or so as I exorcise those demons. The end of July starts the next round of scans, tests, bone marrow biopsy, etc. I meet with my doctor on August 10 for her assessment of the information. In that time frame, there is some potentially cool stuff that could happen and I will fill you in on when/if it does.

"It is for us to pray not for tasks equal to our powers, but for powers equal to our tasks, to go forward with a great desire forever beating at the door of our hearts as we travel toward our distant goal."
-Helen Keller

2 comments:

jj said...

I thought of you when I read Parade. Also in yesterday's paper was a suggestion of vinegar for leg cramps. Here is the URL for the article:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2010/06/20/science-proves-pickle-juice-remedy-works/

Sweet Summer Solstice,

jj

Valerie said...

Greg,

I so appreciate your honesty. It reminds us that we are not alone in our behavior.

You don't have to be a single guy to have demons in your freezer. It took me almost 2 years after Megan died to throw out the bag of frozen blueberries, used to make her smoothies. Every time I saw them in the freezer, it would rush me back in time to the days when I was making all her food.

I finally let go...I have a new bag of blueberries, and a life different than I imagined.