Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My Mistake (And Rant) - Part 2



I realized after my previous post that it could discourage someone from seeking treatment if they are not feeling well. I mean, if there is all this other effort required, other than focusing on getting well, then who wants to deal with it?

You. You have to.

In jest, I've made the comment that I would have been willing to consider a "cash option" instead of treatment. Say, 80% of the dollar value of what has been paid to date to buy some drugs to eliminate the discomfort of the illness and then spend the rest on going out with a bang.

However, I think I may have a little more fun getting under the skin of those who need to get a little education in the process. By doing so, some junk gets cleared out of the way for future patients. Trust me, the letters I sent to the insurance company and the lab contained some spunk and also some frank language. I wrote them yesterday. I reviewed them today. I think they are good stuff.

I found some notes yesterday today that I took during a phone conversation that I had last year with a former stem cell transplant patient. His courage in talking to me about his process gave me the final push I needed to decide to go with the treatment.

I live in a world where I think the whole thing can get easier. I've met people on the treatment administration side of this that say they hope by the time they retire, their jobs won't be necessary. If they had decided on an easier road when they were making career decisions, who knows where cancer research would be right now?

As a patient, we can make the same decision. The effort and work we go through now, during and after our treatments, clears the way for future patients. To those who came before me, I thank you. To those with courage in the future, I thank you.

As a patient, the only thing you have to focus on is getting well. If you encounter others in the process that want to rob you of that focus, call them out.

I don't think we are here to take up space. The whole exist, die, decay and turn into fossil fuels thing doesn't carry much weight with me. Especially not now.

"..There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away..."

1 comment:

Valerie Bosselman said...

What a gift you have...I enjoy every corner of your blog!