Thursday, June 17, 2010

Don't Mind If You Do

A general observation I have of myself and others is that if we are experiencing some discomfort or pain during our medical experiences, we try to "tough it out." We self diagnose and assume that our discomfort is a result of our diagnosis and treatment and "this too, shall pass."

My advice (and it pains me to use the word), is to raise the flag immediately to your caregivers. Do it nicely, but don't be ashamed. They want to know if you are uncomfortable and they are well trained enough to know how to provide relief to you. If they can't they will tell you so. Most of the time, they CAN help you.

As I have said countless times before, my assessment is that people in the medical profession are there because of their compassion towards humanity. They want to help ease pain and discomfort. They want to make their jobs obsolete.

Talking to them helps them live their dream.

No comments: