Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Some 'Splainin


I was talking to a friend about the next IVIG infusion (scheduled for this Wednesday). He was wondering if the chemo that I had last year was no longer in my body, why is my body still being affected by it.

I explained that it's like being in a boxing match. Even though the match only lasts 15 rounds, the body can still have pain and wounds from the match for some time.

The blood counts are still reacting to last year's chemo. The fight is over, but the side effects are still there to some degree. I'm a lucky guy. I've recovered well, but there are still some things that aren't quite perfect. Some side effects and reactions can take up to two years to completely go away. Some don't go away at all. The neuropathy in my toes is most likely permanent. If that's the worst thing that will be left over, I'm doing OK.

Even more good news about the whole process is that the monitoring of immunoglobulins was not a standard procedure in the past. It is now. That's a good thing and is a result of the continuing momentum of cancer research.

Speaking of left overs, I was sent home from a trip to North Carolina with some barbecue (and I'm not sharing it). I told my friends that if North Carolina ever wanted to secede from the United States, I would oppose it solely to save the barbecue (the good kind - from Eastern North Carolina). I'm looking forward to an omelet of my creation. Fill the center of it with barbecue and cheese. Excellent!

No comments: