Friday, December 11, 2009

"Because, Because, Because, Because, Becauuuuse...."*

Had a good conversation with my regular oncologist yesterday about the whole "surgery vs. radiation" thing. Let her review my list of questions.

I asked her why she thought surgery would be a better option than radiation. The overwhelming reason for it is that it would present less danger for damage to surrounding organs (mainly the intestines) than would radiation.

She spoke very highly of the surgeon and said she felt comfortable that if he said it was a good option, she trusted his judgment. Since she was the one that initially raised a flag about surgery, I'm comfortable with her assessment now that some time has passed. Now, it's just a matter of grilling the surgeon next Thursday.

Booster juice infusion went OK. No side effects this time.

Spoke to the doc about the infernal cough. She suggested that it might be a sinus drip and recommended Claritin. Told her I had no congestion, but she said that there is a reason I am coughing and that it most likely is a chemo created sinus drip and that is why I have the worst coughing fits when I lay down to go to sleep. Hope it works. Frankly, it had gotten to the point where it was beyond annoying.

As I was finishing in the chemo room yesterday, I noticed a new patient entering the room. I would guess she was in her early 60's. She came into the room with her husband and son and then sent them out into the waiting room to wait for her to finish. She was troubled by what was to come. The nurses did a great job attending to her to make her feel comfortable. She's in good hands. She just doesn't know it yet. I wish I had taken some time to talk to her, but it would have interrupted what the nurses were doing. However, at the same time, a couple of other nurses and I were cutting up in front of her - not to ignore her, but to show her the "other part" of her treatment. I wish her well.

* - Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg

No comments: