Thursday, December 24, 2009

Greg - 1, Polyps - 0

No polyps to cause concern in the colon as per yesterday's colonoscopy. They even said that I didn't need another one for 10 years.

While waiting for my ride to pick me up, I had a western omelet bagel at the bagel shop in the hospital. How great it was to eat again.

Seriously folks, I know the whole prep thing for a colonoscopy can be dramatic and exhausting for some folks. I did OK. Wasn't crazy about the initial taste of the Go Lytely, but I made peace with it after the 3rd glass. As far as the intended results of the beverage of choice, chemotherapy gives you a spectrum of bowel movement side effects, so the effects of the Go Lytely to me were "been there, done that."

What I want to say is, some of the drama that is associated with a colonoscopy can prevent others from getting this procedure if the stories of your own personal experience are presented in dramatic fashion. We don't need that. Please remember, your reactions to a medical procedure WILL differ from another person's reactions. I have friends, who have had colonoscopies in the past, that shared their stories. Their demographic is made up of a wide range of folks, from a male in his 20's to a female in her 70's. They recounted that it wasn't that awful of an experience. Funny, the most dramatic stories came from other acquaintances that were mostly healthy males who take pride in their physical appearance and work out regularly. Tough guys......

I was speaking to a nurse yesterday that has not had a colonoscopy because she's uncomfortable with her colleagues gazing at her backside. I promised her that I would tattle on her to some other doctors so they would motivate her to get a colonoscopy.

I went with the understanding that I would be "out of it" during the actual procedure. I wasn't. I was able to see the screen the whole time. It was a bit uncomfortable, but it really didn't last that long. Folks that I talked to afterwards, who have had the procedure and were out of it during the procedure, responded with, "Seriously, was it awful?" It wasn't the happiest ride in the park, but it wasn't the scariest thing that's ever happened either. The great news about not being out of it was that my recovery and release time was shortened. I was in and out (no pun intended) in less than 2 hours.

Again I will say it. I don't intend to minimize or trivialize anyone else's experience. I empathize if it was difficult for you. However, if yours wasn't all that bad, don't tell fish stories.

I really believe the most medical professional are altruistic and are guided by "Primum Non Nocere."

Wouldn't hurt to make it universal across humanity.

BONUS INFO:

1) It's cool to run into some of the caregivers I've met, in a setting other than the clinic or hospital, and have them say, "You look great." What's cool about it is the ability to look back at them and say, "It's all because of your work!"

2) I bought a bottle of wine today for a friend and got carded. That's really cool!


"And so this is Christmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The world is so wrong
And so happy Christmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight"
- John Lennon

See you next week sometime....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am guessing you got carded because your colon was so young looking and bright and shiny clean.

Merry Christmas Greg.

- J

jj said...

My first colonoscopy last year provided me with the best nap I'd had in years! I awoke feeling on top of the world. I am glad yours went well. xoxo

jj