Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Just Like Rasslin



Yesterday was a very active day with communication back and forth between myself and MCV.

The surgeon that I met with last week has, in addition to tomorrow's colonoscopy, ordered a PET scan and a unltrasound guided biopsy of the lump that he noticed last week.

I spoke to the oncologist at MCV later on in the day and he feels based on the details of last week's ultrasound of that lump, that there is no cause for concern and that in this case, "sometimes a lump, is just a lump," like the ones that are all over my body.

However, since I now have a history of NHL, the surgeon wants to check it out. If it were located elsewhere on my torso, it may not be so much of a big deal, but since it is near the lymph glands in my neck, hence his concern.

The PET scan is scheduled for the 29th and the biopsy is yet to be scheduled. Another effect these tests have is that my surgery for the 30th has been postponed. The reason for the postponement is not that the tests are taking up the short amount of time between now and then. Rather, it's because if the tests show that the lump is cancerous, then we would need to address it with treatment options, and the surgery would not be as high priority for now. When I heard that news, I was bummed out because I just want to get all this stuff over with. However, it may have been the perfect pill that I've been needing.

Prior to be notified that the surgery was being postponed, I was having a discussion with a friend about this stuff making me weary mentally. He replied, "Greg, you need to understand that everything you are being tested and scheduled for is preventive. None of these thing are because you HAVE cancer." Wise words.

After thinking about his words, I realized this is like them REAL live professional wrestling matches where the hero starts out strong, starts getting roughed up and then in a miracle finish, comes back to win the match in heroic fashion.

Guess it's time to step back into the ring. I promise you that I won't put on one of those silly ultratight spandex costumes.

4 comments:

skippy said...

First. C'mon just a little spandex. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

When's our next breakfast?

Kathleen said...

Spandex, oh lord. Thinking of you today and tomorrow. I did my turn with the go lightly stuff in August. The prep is much worse than the actual procedure. Loved your christmas wishes. I am going to put on the Christmas Adagios CD (thanks again) tonight and see what it says to me...

Greg said...

Good pick up on the cultural reference, Skippy! Is there a McLeans in Baghdad?

Anonymous said...

Spandex does magical things with lumps. I know. I have experience.

- J