Thursday, October 15, 2009

Banana Trees And How Stuff Works

It's about that time to bring banana trees in for the winter. The problem this year is that I am not allowed to dig them up and bring them in. So...I have 9 trees that are up for adoption. Most of them are 3 feet tall or less and they are relatively low maintenance. Since they are small, they aren't a real chore to dig up, either. In the event you would like to adopt one or two (or all) of them, contact me at gregterp AT verizon DOT net. Heck, they'd even make a nice gift for a friend or family member.

How stuff works: I had a Neulasta shot last Friday to stimulate blood cell production. I'd had Neulasta shots before without any issue. However, this time, I felt some aching in my bones, particularly in the breast bone area, joints and in the hip. The reason for the discomfort is that Neulasta makes the bone marrow expand and send blood cells from the bone marrow into the blood stream. Since bones cannot expand, the discomfort that I felt was the bone marrow expanding inside the bones. The reason I did not feel any discomfort before was that I was receiving steroids for four days after the Neulasta shot as a counter to side effects from chemo. I figured all of that out and then had it all confirmed by the Nurse Practitioner. I told her I was the little kid that would look at a cuckoo clock and then want to tear it apart to see how it worked.

Even more amazing, is that someone concocted the whole Neulasta recipe and how it works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg - can't tell you who I am but I work in the biopharma industry designing and making a Neulasta like drug - I follow some of these blogs cos the info provided by people in situations like you find yourself helps us think about how we can improve patient experience in the future. Your bone pain for example - we are trying to find ways to reduce that side-effect. You are right about how Neulasta works - if you have a technical mind and are interested in knowing more look take a look at

http://www.find-health-articles.com/rec_pub_15078138-the-design-development-pegfilgrastim-peg-rmethug-csf-neulasta.htm

Good luck !

skippy said...

Greg - can't tell you who I am but ... oh wait, you know who I am....