Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Stop Me If You've Heard This One


On tap today is a visit with the Nurse Practitioner to check on blood work - regularly scheduled appointment. Pending the outcome of next week's appt. with the doctor, it could be my last visit with the Nurse Practitioner in awhile.

Speaking of the doctor, today is the one year anniversary of our first meeting. Let me tell you how that went. By the time she came to my room, I still hadn't had my biopsy yet and was still under the no eating/drinking restrictions (them medical people call them "NPO restrictions"). When she met with me, she told me that she was pretty sure I wouldn't be having my biopsy that day due to the lateness of the day. I looked at her and asked, "Does this mean I can have something to eat or drink?" She assured me that I could have food and drink up until midnight and then the NPO restrictions would kick in again for the next day.

She was standing there with her hands on the railing of my hospital bed as she spoke to me. I was so grateful that I could have something to eat that I reached up and stroked her hand. She immediately pulled her hand back and said, "I'll go see if I can get something brought in for you."

I apologized to her the next day. I think we've gotten along fine since. She's a good egg. I am giving her an "anniversary card" today and one thing I thanked her for in the card is her acceptance of what I call humor. She has a pretty good sense of humor herself.

"It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" was on last night. It was fun to watch it as an adult and appreciate some of it's best quotes.

Linus: Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker.
******************************************************************
Charlie Brown: Oh brother. When are you going to stop believing in something that isn't true?
Linus: When YOU stop believing in that fat guy in a red suit and the white beard who goes, "Ho, ho, ho!"
Charlie Brown: We are obviously separated by denominational differences.

1 comment:

skippy said...

First. I'm not going to stop believing.