Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I Signed In To Sign Out

In one of the ironies of all this, I received a letter from the National Bone Marrow Registry to update my information that they had on file. In September of 2002, while I was donating platelets, I signed up to be on the National Bone Marrow Donor list. As I have mentioned before, the fee to be on the list was waived since I was a platelet donor. I don't know if they still waive the fee or not, but it's a list I wanted to be on.

I went to their website to update my information and advise them that I had been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and had received chemotherapy. In doing so, I thought the same rules would apply as they do with donating platelets after cancer diagnosis. I.E. If you are cancer free 5 years after your last treatment, you can resume the process. Not so with bone marrow donation. There are some exceptions as per their website:

"If you have a history of pre-cancerous cells, you will be able to register to become a potential volunteer donor. You are able to register if you have any of the following:

* Cured, local skin cancer (basal cell, squamous cell or melanoma in situ).
* Healed in situ cervical cancer.
* Healed in situ breast cancer.
* Healed in situ bladder cancer.

NOTE: In situ cancer is diagnosed at a very early stage and is specifically called “in situ” or Stage 0.

All other forms of cancer, including non-in situ melanoma, are not acceptable — no matter the length of time since treatment or recovery."


There was an option to update my information so they would know I was no longer "acceptable" to them, and with regret I gave them the details. I'm not upset with them. I'm glad the letter came when it did and I was able to update my information in time to prevent a false hope situation. I found the timing of the letter impeccable and ironic.

Another section on their website lets you help by making a tax-deductible contribution, volunteering, or learn how to join the registry.

I have been asked about the donation of umbilical cords for research. The website provides that information in the "help" section of the website. Encouraging stuff!

No comments: