Sunday, October 11, 2009

I've Never Run In A Marathon

And I never intend to. I've run in a couple of 5K's and some 10K's. The one thing I remember about all of them is that there is a level of adrenaline at the beginning that makes you believe you will be the person that finishes in record time, or at least you will finish with a personal record. In one of the 10K's in which I ran, I started fading about two-thirds of the way into it, but knew a water stand was just ahead. When I got there, they were out of water. As a matter of fact, all of the water stands were "dry" between there and the finish line. Needless to say, my pace slowed. I finished the race, including sprinting the last 50 yards or so, and hit the energy drink free give away stand just beyond the finish line.

That's what the blood results from Friday felt like. No water at the water stand.

Here's hoping that the water stand I pass on Wednesday afternoon has water.

While watching the NC State game on Saturday, they showed a feature on this. Interesting stuff.

2 comments:

skippy said...

First. That's just the water that leaves you thirsty again anyway....

When I run races, I start out running (plodding) what I feel like is extra slow so it's actually probably my normal pace and then by the end, I'm actually passing people. Much more motivating than the other way around.

Anonymous said...

Were you watching the State game or the dook game?

I used to run XC in high school. Never ever had a passion for it and tossed my racing shoes away at the state championships my senior year and never looked back. I applaud those who can continue to run beyond their teen years. Yay you! I am sure you have some more 10Ks in you. Plan ahead. Take your own water.
- Judith