Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Really Big Day

Yesterday...countless e-cards, e-mails, cards, calls and good fun.

Went to lunch with two great friends. How cool was it that the weather was suitable for sitting outside in a high traffic area where I was seen enjoying the company of two attractive ladies with balloons and presents everywhere? It got even better. We were sitting there conversing and suddenly the tune of "Happy Birthday" being played on an accordion, began behind my back.

I thought, "This is the first restaurant that has used this method for birthday greetings."

I turned to acknowledge it and was very surprised that it was my friend, Jimmy (a very talented and accomplished musician/musical director) standing there playing and singing greetings to me.

Here's a plug for him: He will be directing "Music In The Old Church" on November 21 at 2:30 and 8:30PM at Grace and Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, 8 North Laurel Street, in Richmond VA. I had the pleasure of seeing last year's concert. It's a Richmond treasure.

Back to lunch. While there, several other good theatre friends just happened to show up to wish "Happy Birthday." How did they know? Oh wait, I remembered with who I was having lunch. They are great people.

From there, I went to my scheduled appt. with the Nurse Practitioner. Knew I could sneak in and out of there without any mention of the birthday. Until, the Nurse Tech pulled up my records to write the orders for my chest x-ray. She looked at the screen, her eyes got big, she started grinning and she went for the Nurse Practitioner. There is an inside joke that we share and I thought it was a continuation of that. Nope, the Nurse Tech saw that it was my birthday and went to get the Nurse Practitioner and bring her back into the room so she could wish me Happy Birthday. They kind of felt bad that they made me come to the doctor's office on my birthday. Not me, I was around people of who I think highly. Worked for me.

From there, to dinner with a great group of friends with whom we all share or have shared the same employer. Lot's of laughing and lies (to paraphrase one of the people there).

I will finish with this poem that was composed for the day. I will not name to author to protect their "innocence." If you don't find the poem as the perfect blend of kindness and humor as I did, well....you need to lighten up a little bit. To borrow from Mr. Bo Baker, it was the best birthday ever!

Just look around the table
And know that every person here
Is your own personal cheerleader
And we love you so much, Dear.

So now it’s your 50th Birthday
There are candles on the cake
And we’re so glad we’re partying here
Instead of at your wake.

You’ve overcome so much this year
You fought hard, and that’s no lie
We’re happy we could help you through it
And that you didn’t die.

Our friendships have been tested
And we’ve all come out ahead
We’re happy you have made it through
And we hope the Alien’s dead.

So raise a glass to Gregory
A friend we love, respect and admire
And pray he’s blowing out candles in 30 years
With a fire brigade to put out the fire

2 comments:

RERC said...

Happy Birthday Greg!
And I agree with the sentiment in the poem.

Becky

Kathleen said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was great that that you have a fabulous year ahead!