Thursday, February 5, 2009

Chemo Day and AARP Ethics

Today is chemo day. Have some plans of foolishness today for the doctor and nurses. I'll make it up to them by taking in muffins that I made for them.

So...the AARP Ethical question is: I am approaching the milestone birthday this year (I know, I don't look it or act like it - it's a curse!) and have started to receive AARP mailings. The most recent came the other day. I am thinking about treating myself to a weekend at Kitty Hawk after my 6th (and potentially last) chemo treatment. If I join AARP (in advance of the milestone birthday and not chronologically eligible to be an AARP member), the hotel discount will pay for the membership in the first night I stay there. However, since I won't be the eligible age when I go to Kitty Hawk, would I be a bad person for using the AARP discount? The other side of it is I would be helping the economy by travelling and staying at a hotel.

Before you take all of this too seriously, I just goofing on you (a term that a friend of mine uses). I do know what I intend to do as I think there are some aging credits due me as a result of having cancer. I'm just saying..........

Will let you know tomorrow what the foolishness was as the Nurse Practitioner has my blog address and since she is a Hokie, you really can't trust her.....I'm just goofing on her. She may let the others know what to expect.

3 comments:

erinnicole said...

i don't think there's an ethical issue. if AARP allows you to join pre-milestone, then AARP allows you to join pre-milestone! they've made a decision to allow people to enjoy their benefits early; it helps them by roping people in early.

JPNtheHUN said...

AARP found me this week--with only 18 days to go! Don't know how I was missed; Thom has been getting stuff for quite a while and he's a year younger than I am.

on the Kitty Hawk thing--would you like a timeshare week? Would be very happy to donate/work on it for you--and please, no timeshare jokes. I know about the foolishness of buying, but my friends will tell you it's much better than my being meat on the porch days...

in other news--Terps are honoring Laura Harper tonight AFTER the NCState game--one more jersey in the rafters of Comcast!

JPNtheHUN said...

Ok, that should have been buying meat on the porch, not being meat. Am going far away now!