Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bachman Turner Overdrive Wasn't Exactly Right

When they sang, "Get up every mornin' to the alarm clock's warnin'." Some mornings I get up to the effects of chemo. Been awake for a couple hours now after about 4-5 hours of good sleep. Hence, the early posting of this blog page today. I'm sure there will be some nap time throughout the day today. Going to run some errands, but it is supposed to rain here all day. Perfect for napping!

I talked to the Nurse Practitioner yesterday and told her the only side effect I've been having after recent chemo treatments (in addition to the one I mentioned after the previous treatment that lasted for a few days) is the need to take a nap sometimes in the middle of the day. She said, "That's absolutely normal"(the best words you can hear from a caregiver - especially when she says taking a nap in the middle of the day is something you need to do - as an adult I wonder, "Why did I fight with my mother when I was much younger and she insisted I take a nap in the middle of the day?"). Back to the Nurse Practitioner...She said "The effects of chemo are cumulative. Remember, we are putting 'poison' in your body in 3 week cycles. When the previous cycle ends, it doesn't mean your body is back to normal. It means your body is at a point where we can put more 'poison' in. It's doing what it is supposed to do, but it will wear you down over time. It's OK to listen to your body and when you need to take a nap, do it."

I have gained some weight back, but had no idea where it was going because my waistline hasn't expanded (Thank God) and then I started feeling my calf muscles and biceps and realized that muscle tissue is returning. They were pretty spindly a few months ago. Muscle mass takes less space than fat mass, so that is a good thing.

She also told me that it is indeed OK to travel, but not to travel too far. She knows I take regular trips to DC for business, but advised to not travel farther than that for now. They want me to stay close to them so that they can care for me if needed (vs. relaying information to someone in another hospital). Darn, because this year's Men's ACC Basketball Tournament in Atlanta is going to be good! I'm picking Georgia Tech to win it all. I just got a hunch about it.

Shalom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to go all science on ya, but mass is mass. A pound is a pound whether it is muscle or fat. It's really a density thing. Fat is less dense and therefore occupies more volume. I am glad you are gaining weight back in the form of muscle, you are taking care of your body which is a good thing and a lesson which I should heed.

Ain't no way GaTech is gonna win this year.

- Judith

Greg said...

Judith also said Maryland didn't have a chance against the Tarheels last week. I guess she is still bitter.

Anonymous said...

No bitterness here. Just hated seeing the Heels get waxed by another hot shooting guard, particularly Vasquez.

- Judith