Sunday, February 15, 2009

Opportunity Knocks

This post is not intended to pick a fight. If anything, you should be encouraged as I am showing a "bit" (OK, a lot) of spunk today.

We all have heard the expression, "Things happen for a reason." I will never believe or accept that things are MEANT to happen for a reason. I don't believe that the creator of this world inflicts pain and suffering only for the purpose of hearing his name called out.

I DO believe that there is opportunity in all pain and suffering to search for relief, cures, and compassion. There is not one disease in this world that is intended to punish an individual or a group of individuals. Until humans know the origin, cause and cure of a disease, it is not for them to judge why an individual has been afflicted.

There have been (and will be) controversial medical research studies that have yielded promises of hope for patients suffering from various diseases. My view on those studies has shifted as time passes. Unless the research and outcomes are intended to harm an individual, I say we are obligated to continue to move ahead. Potentially, I could receive some stem cell treatments to eliminate and possibly cure my cancer. Got a problem with that? Call me if you do.

I've been made aware that a theater co-actor and also the son of a friend in North Carolina have been diagnosed with some potential serious medical issues. Of course, I ask for your thoughts and prayers for them, but also ask for legitimate research and wisdom for their caregivers. And while you are at it, humble yourself enough to ask for wisdom for you to accept the God given gift of medical research. Otherwise, I guess leeches and bloodletting are OK for you.

1 comment:

skippy said...

First! Taking on the pharisees today, my good friend?