Thursday, September 3, 2009

Betraying Friends

I was talking to two friends the other day who gave me rides to and from clinic appointments. I was telling them how I felt I betrayed them and everyone else who gave me rides when I drove myself to clinic on Tuesday of this week. I enjoyed having the chance to talk to them during the rides and catching up on what was going on with them.

Another set of friends came by last night with dinner and to help do some laundry. I was telling them about how hard it was to graciously accept the kindness of folks during this restriction time. They explained that it was their way of contributing to my recovery.

I had another discussion once about accepting kindness from others. The person on the other end of the discussion told me, "A gift not accepted is a blessing denied." I thought that was one of the most profound things I had heard.

A few years ago, when someone wanted to repay me for a gift or favor I did, I used the expression, "In the South, we just say Thank You," as may way of telling them that no repayment was necessary or expected.

I'm trying to learn how to not deny blessings here in the South.

No comments: