Saturday, September 5, 2009

Somewhere Around Now


I know I've told this story in person and put it on the blog awhile back, so I apologize for repeating it.

About a year ago I made my last platelet donation. It was at that appt. when the person collecting my platelets noticed that my platelet count was low (yet adequate enough for collection of a single donation). She asked me what was going on with me physically as my platelets had been declining over the last couple of donations. I had no clue and asked her what would make them decline. She recommended that I see my doctor. I came home and consulted an Internet "doctor" and self diagnosed myself. You know how that turned out.

The point is to tell you that you shouldn't put off seeing a doctor if things ain't right. I'm proud of myself that I have pointed things out to the doctors since I was diagnosed that I may have just shaken off in the past. As there is discussion in America about people being denied health care because they can't afford it (and the issue needs to be addressed), there are likely more people who have access to health care that are denying it from themselves. That's a shame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on your blog. As for "paying forward" those favors, you have already been doing that through your blog, sharing your personal journey, chatting with the NC boys, allowing others to see the human face of cancer. You've already been quite a blessing to others. As for not being able to leave the house...football season is starting.
Lisa