Sunday, September 13, 2009

She's Right

Lisa made a comment on Friday's post about some cancer patients not having good outcomes in spite of a good attitude and putting up a good fight. It's a very insightful comment and she's correct.

I am most grateful for the miracles contained in the medicines that have been administered to me throughout the process. Even with my original diagnosis when the oncologist said my form of cancer was highly treatable and potentially curable, there were no assurances of any outcome. I have always recognized that there are others who have worse case scenarios and cancers than mine. I've heard the stories and have met several of those people in person. When I hear the stories, my heart goes out to them.

I have made the comment to several people that I believe when a person is diagnosed with cancer or any other catastrophic disease, and the person decides that they are going to "fight" the disease, the brain secretes a chemical to assist with the fight. When that chemical is discovered, I believe the cure for those diseases will be found.

I don't believe that disease has to be accepted as part of living, dying or God's plan. I believe God's plan is for man to continue research and find the cures. That's part of the whole "serving others" thing.

I don't know what is ahead. I'll find out some concrete things on November 5 after the next set of scans. For now, I can serve others by listening to their stories, keeping my head in the game so that the results and information I'm generating can add to an important part of a set of statistics.

When I was out walking in my neighborhood early one morning, I could feel the coolness of the seasonal change in the weather. It's my favorite time of year. Maybe it has something to do with the association with football season. As I was walking, I noticed that one of the houses had a garden out front in which they were growing melons. There were some that had formed and there were some blossoms indicating that some more melons were going to be formed. I thought about at how this point of the summer season, we recognize that most plants have passed their peak production of blooming or production of fruit. Yet, the melons still hadn't reached their potential. I then thought about how all seasons have a plant or two that are at their peak in that specific season.

To everything there is a season. Medical research is for all seasons. More tomorrow.

No comments: