Friday, November 7, 2008

AND NOW BACK TO THE SHOW...

Yesterday was "Name the Lymphoma", Consult for Chemo port insertion and a PET scan (they could have just asked, I have no pets - well, there are these Camelback crickets in my crawl space..). So...the question you all want answered is, "What is the alien's name? He is: T cell rich, Large B-cell Lymphoma. He is a stage 4 lymphoma that has also enlarged my spleen and liver (I figure if they can handle me drinking a Milwaukee's Best once in my life, they can handle this). The good news is he is highly treatable with chemo and potentially curable. I start chemo next week and will receive treatment once every 3 weeks for a total of 6-8 treatments. Small pity party time: One of the treatments is on Christmas Eve. The doctor recommended I milk the pity for that appt. for all it's worth. My treatments will take about a half day, so that's why I'm glad I bought a portable DVD player the other year. A good friend (the creator of the "origin list" has promised to go with me that day and watch goofy Christmas movies with me that day.).

The PET scan is a radioactive (My glow that I've always had was enhanced some yesterday - not really) test that helps pinpoint the location of all the bad mini-aliens for treatment. Today, I had the chemo port inserted. Lots of anxiety, very easy and simple procedure that was done in 15 minutes once they started applying anesthetic. The port is a state of the port (www.portadvantage.com). By the way, that's the only time I will refer you to a web site. The oncologist recommended I tell my family and friends to not do any web research on my condition as every case is different, dosages are different, etc. You will find nothing definitive on me unless you have my medical records.

So....that's all there is for now. Thank God I get a few days of no appts. Although it was getting kind of cool to walk through the halls of the hospital and wave at familar faces.

See you soon!

3 comments:

Tina said...

Greg,
Just wanted to say thanks, again, for making me smile. Only you can deliver news like this and still make people laugh out loud! And thanks for keeping us all updated. It's GREAT news that it's highly treatable and potentially curable.
Tina (Contract Companies)

skippy said...

Sounds like a DJ... MC T Rich or DJ Large B ... in the hizzouse, yo.

I hear, that if you are planning on injecting your body with large amounts of poison, chemo is really the way to go.

I don't blame you for attributing the enlarged spleen and liver to Milwaukee's Best. Heck, I'm suprised the Beast didn't kill the Alien all on it's own.

Stevo said...

Indeed VERY good to hear words like "highly treatable" and "curable"! The Christmas Eve Chemo sounds lovely. I think you should dress in full Dickensian costume, walk in on crutches and declare, "God bless us, everyone!"