Wednesday, November 12, 2008

HOW IT WENT

Started at 10AM or so and was there until 4PM. That was perfectly fine with me. The chemo room is one of the most upbeat rooms you can imagine. If there is such as thing as chemo room heaven, I was there today. The work that the folks there do in conjunction with their personalities is beyond words. When I was on the phone with someone today, they would ask, "What party are you attending?" They were floored when I told them where I was. Because of today's experience, I'm actually looking forward to the Christmas Eve treatment and being part of the fun.
The first round of the chemo cocktails are in there and the big bad drug is going to work immediately. I don't think the "alien" has anything it can do now except die a slow, painful death. I will have a follow up tomorrow, Friday and Monday to do another follow up injection tomorrow, blood work on Friday, follow up on Monday to review how it went today.
Some of you have mentioned that you want to post a comment and you are having trouble. If you are having trouble, send me any comments you want to post at my e-mail:gregterp@verizon.net and I will post it for you.
To those of you who have posted comments, I read every one of them and they mean the world to me. Don't think that I overlook any of them. I consider them your written prayer for me.
I'm already looking at some cool hats to wear (because my thick and bountiful hair will start falling out sometime around the 2nd treatment) and have decided to honor my family heritage. I found an Irish patchwork driver style hat with Ireland and a shamrock embroidered on one of the patchwork panels, a Scottish version of a beret, and a German Alpine hat (complete with pin and feather). Then, just for fun, I found a nightcap that I will wear at Christmas. No matter what you think about my choices, that's what I'm going to do.
In the words of the great philosopher, Popeye the Sailor Man, the reason I'm fighting the alien is "I'se had all I can stand, tills I cans't stand no more." The reason I'm going with the cool hats: "I Y'am what I Y'am!" (I love using spell check and have it freak out with the Popeye words). Now in honor of Wimpy, I'm going to eat a hamburger for dinner.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

darn it. Number 960. I was going for the free toaster at #1000. A couple of random thoughts...It looks like the hokies were feasting on turtle soup (sorry-just a jab from a frustrated Boilermaker). Also- let me know when you're ready for the kilt to go with the hat. May be a little breazy this winter though. Missing you at Glen Allen- Yet another show with a train in it! Who knew? Marty

skippy said...

Don't listen to Steve, he just wants everyone to be bald. Yours will grow back. Steve is still banking on "Hair Club for Riding in Cars with Boys."

You need a "Cat in the Hat" hat.

Greg said...

Stevo said...
I think you'll look MAAAAAARvelous bald. One of MY favorite lines when someone complains about a "bad hair day":
I just wish I had a HAIR day!

Let me know if you need a Red Wings or University of Michigan hat (just kidding). Probably should not try to make you angry. I bet you can now spit chemo like a viper and put someone's eye out.

November 12, 2008 4:50 PM

Benton Oakes said...

Greg,

My name is Benny Oakes. I am friends with Mike and Joy Wilkes, who have lifted you up in prayer at our church. Having read some of your posts, I am honored to join the community of believers who have joined the fight against the alien through prayer. Your courage and attitude is a tremendous inspiration to say the least. Having grown up a Duke fan, it gives me great pleasure to tell you that I will be rooting for your Terps as they battle our common enemy this Saturday, the Tar Heels. GO TERAPINS!!

terpballboy said...

Dude, I had no idea you were Irish!Love the picture of you on stage. Look like a pro up there. Go Terps!