Monday, November 10, 2008

AND NOW A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR

Don't get scared, I didn't sign up for ads to be posted on this site. However, I would like to be a little serious for a minute and mention the importance of donating blood platelets. In addition to regular blood donations (which take less than 15 minutes of actual sitting in a chair), there is the option of donating blood platelets. It does take considerably longer but you can read, watch a movie on a portable DVD player, listen to music, etc (you can't take a nap, because they need you to squeeze your hand). They remove your blood, put it through a centrifuge device, remove the platelets and then put your blood, minus the platelets, back into you along with some solution to help regenerate platelets and keep you healthy. Your body regenerates the platelets you donated within 48 hours.
It's also a good way to get a mini-physical (pulse, blood pressure, platelet count) on a regular basis. Because of the donation/restoration process, you can go every 2 weeks rather than waiting every 56 days for a regular blood donation. I have been a platelet donor for over 8 years as my way of contributing directly to the fight against cancer. If you are already giving blood on a regular basis, great! However, I encourage you to explore the blood platelet donation process. There can be some discomfort, but the folks at the blood centers will treat you tremendously. It will also require you to give up about 2 hours of your time, but there are flexible time frames - some on Saturdays, early AM, after work, etc.
Advantages: Your platelets get used within 48 hours by cancer patients; With your permission some locations will retain your information and register you on the National Bone Marrow Donor list; Sometimes you are matched directly to a cancer patient (I knew I had been matched to a 13 year old girl, but today when I called the blood center to let them know I wouldn't be around for awhile, they told me there were at least 5 other people I was directly matched to in the last year); You do get a close monitoring of your platelet counts (they detected a month ago that my platelet count had decreased over the previous times and urged that I go to my doctor - I didn't because I diagnosed the situation myself using the internet. I was wrong and should have gone to the doctor sooner).
This isn't about me and my current situation, it truly has been a rewarding thing to me. I have never felt bad about and it really has been a fulfilling experience for me. When I thought I was being inconvenienced, I reminded myself of the people who would be receiving the platelets. Frankly, it helped me prepare to deal with the needles that have been stuck in me lately. Today, I had blood work and it was "nothing but a minor flesh wound."
To get more information contact the major blood donation center in your area to explore how to be a donor. In addition the process makes you chill out for about 2 hours plus the amount of "no heavy lifting, etc." time afterwards. If you can't do blood donations, encourage someone who can.
Errands and yardwork can wait when you are helping to save lives.
No post of mine is complete without some humor. Steven Wright is one of my favorites. "Ever notice how irons have a setting for PERMANENT press? I don't get it... "

3 comments:

skippy said...

First! I donated platelets once and it worked out fine. It is a committment of time, but certainly for a worthy cause. I've fallen out of the donation habit since moving to NoVa, but I'll try to get serious about it again. Thanks for this "PSA."

JPNtheHUN said...

For those of us who can no longer give blood, THANKS Greg for you eloquent comments. I push everyone I can to give because I can't (I think they get tired of that...).

Can we all recommend movies for you to watch? I can loan you the (incomplete!) 2006 Women's Basketball championship!

4Turners said...

Thanks for raising my awareness about platelet donation - it really makes me think...hmmmmmmmm! Oh, and LOVE the quote about permanent press - who came up with that name, anyway???