Tuesday, November 11, 2008

WE HAVE MR. ALIEN CORNERED

Tomorrow morning (Wednesday the 12th) at 9:30, the assault begins. I start chemo that will take place every 3 weeks on Wednesday and we'll go from there. There are no promises with the treatments, but...things are encouraging and I was told if it goes well, I would start feeling some relief from fluid retention and the stomach distention after the first treatment. It is quite the concoction they are putting in me and some of the treatment is intended to make me comfortable. How cool is that? There are side effects, but they are manageable. I asked when I would have the "stinky days" that you hear chemo patients have and they said those are usually the first 48 hours following the chemo cocktail and the main symptom is listlessness. I have a resource to help coordinate meals, and other things I may need, but I'm going to work through the first cycle just to track the days when it would be good to have stuff brought in and then kick in the "meals on wheels" and other stuff towards the end of the first cycle. In the meantime, feel free to call, stop by, check in and since it will be day to day, we'll play it by ear until I get through the first cycle. My family is coming for Thanksgiving, so I'll be OK for Thanksgiving. I've read all your comments and will get back to you within a couple days about any questions you have or offers of assistance.
I went to work today for about 4-5 hours and it actually felt great! Talked to some clients and even had lunch with a client!
Health Note to you: GET YOUR FLU SHOT! Got mine today.
Don't know if I said this in an earlier blog (too lazy to look), but before I go to bed, I turn on a Light Classical music station on my cable system to a real low volume and have that playing in my bedroom all night. It's very soothing. If you are ever experiencing any illness, and aren't sleeping well, I recommend it. Heck, even if you are sleeping well, I recommend it.
The following lyrics may explain my outlook on all this. They are lyrics from a traditional tune known as "Simple Gifts." The tune is used in Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring (my favorite piece of music).
'Tis the gift to be simple,'tis the gift to be free,'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be.."
I've been told in the past that I'm pretty simple minded. I'm OK with that.

2 comments:

skippy said...

First! We like Aaron Copeland! Let me know if you need "pointed sticks" to poke that alien with. I'll sharpen them my self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w

SDPC said...

Greg, I just want to leave you a note and THANK YOU for letting all of us take this journey with you and for allowing us to 'help' in whatever way we can. I'm sure there will be times when you would rather be left alone, and all you have to do is say so. For those other times, when you want us to be there, all you have to do is say so. You have (and deserve) a wonderful group of friends and family, and we're all here for you!