Thursday, May 14, 2009

Crazy Numbers

Platelet counts from yesterday.......18. No one's guess even came close. Everyone that guessed, guessed way high in order to send good mojo my way. I appreciated that.

I did require a platelet infusion and it was a pretty good experience. The hospital has added a new cancer wing and the infusion center is located in the new wing. Last time, there was no room available in the infusion center and I had to be admitted to a room in the hospital. This time, the infusion center was able to take me in. The room I was in had a recliner chair and also a flat screen TV. There is also WiFi access in the room, so I spent time working on my laptop.

The whole process involves more waiting than anything. Once they take you in, they draw blood to get the matching info for them to contact the blood bank and let them know what platelet blood type they need to send. It takes a few hours from the time they draw the blood until the platelets arrive. Once the platelets arrive, it takes about an hour or so to get them in and clean out the port. I went in around noon and left around 5PM. By the way, I have yet to meet a nurse that doesn't like the fact that I have a port. It's much better for them than having to administer medications, platelets, etc. via a normal IV. For me, it's a lot less painful.

As a patient, I have found that the doctors and nurses appreciate patients with a sense of humor. I got that going for me. Most of them laugh with me. Honest. It makes the whole thing go better.

Finally, I want to share a conversation I had with the nurse that did my infusion. I was telling her that there are days when I get bored of the whole thing and just want to cut off the treatments and take my chances with what happens. However, I know that what's left with treatments is good stuff. She looked at me and said, "I understand, but I can tell you are a person that has a lot of fight left in you and you are going to go through with it." I guess I got that going for me too!

2 comments:

jj said...

18 = Life

Chai is the Hebrew word for life (say "Ch" like a hard "H"). Chai is spelled with the Hebrew letters "chet" and "yud." The Hebrew Aleph Bet doubles as numerals. Chet = 8. Yud = 10.

In Hebrew numerology, the number 18 is a symbol for "life" because the word "Chai" means life and the sum of its letters (8 + 10) equals 18.

18 = Chai = Life

jj

PS. If you recall, my guess was 218.

skippy said...

Eighteen and life you got it
Eighteen and life you
know
Your crime is [platelets] and it's
Eighteen and life to go

LOL. So eighteen IS a good number.