Friday, May 1, 2009

I Made A Deal With My Hibiscus Plant


I have a hibiscus plant that I started a few years ago from seed. My mother gave me the seeds from her plant. She got the seeds from her grandmother's plant. There must be at least 75-80 years of history behind my plant. I call it my "Heritage Hibiscus." It's pretty cool to see it bloom every year with it's large pink flowers and feel the connection back to my great-grandmother who I recall only seeing once in my life.

I was concerned that my plant was not going to come up this year. For some reason, I was thinking that it would come up much sooner than now. I made a deal with it a couple weeks ago. The deal was between it and I. I will not divulge the details of the deal.

It held up it's end of the deal as last night I saw several shoots of it had emerged through the soil. I don't ever recall the shoots looking as strong as those I saw last night. It does spread out as there are more shoots this year than there are of remaining shoots from last years plant. It is my favorite plant in my yard.

It's a pretty simple statement, but I think plants are there to remind us of regeneration. I've also made a deal with my banana trees that I will be setting out this weekend. I brought them in for the winter the day before I was admitted to the hospital last fall.

Should be a good summer with great days.

2 comments:

erinnicole said...

neat story...want to pass on some seeds to the next generation some time? :)

(i assume the next generation should actually have a home of its own for this to happen...)

skippy said...

Is there any such thing as a lowbiscus?