Friday, May 8, 2009

Don't Get Crazy

Results of blood work yesterday was that my platelet count was 156. Normal is 140-415. Anything above 140 for someone receiving chemotherapy is good stuff. Minimum level to get chemo is anything above 100. After I flexed my muscles for her, I told the doctor I would go out and donate platelets. She swatted at me with the papers in her hand. She's figuring me out. It's probably best that our interaction will be minimized for awhile during the MCV thing. She'd probably hit me for real. Here's the bait and switch....The low point (they use the term "nadir") for blood counts occurs 10-14 days after chemotherapy. What that means is there will be blood work on Monday (day 10) to see if my platelets are really the little studs they are pretending to be. I was physically prepared to have a platelet injection yesterday, but mentally I decided it wasn't going to be necessary. I'll be loading up on the proteins and exercising this weekend..all to stimulate platelet production.

The true irony of yesterday is I received my annual gift from Virginia Blood Services for being a "Friend for Life." It recognizes that I donated platelets at least 4 times last year. It's a nice gift. It's a collapsible cooler with a retractable bottle opener on it. Might have to be my personal cooler for the big backyard party this fall.

Here's some Greg crowing. If at some point you are listening to the radio (typically a news or sports station), and hear a commercial for an alcoholism recovery product, the person telling the story about his alcoholism in the first part of the commercial is yours truly. I'm only acting in the commercial, so don't get all, "He never told me about that", when you hear it. I recorded the commercial for a client about a year and a half ago and the commercial started playing on XM stations and now is playing on regular radio. It's kind of fun when someone calls and says they heard it.

"I rolled on as the sky grew dark.
I put the pedal down to make some time.
There's something good waitin down this road.
I'm pickin up whatever is mine.

Yeah runnin down a dream.
That never would come to me.
Workin on a mystery, goin wherever it leads
I'm runnin down a dream" - Tom Petty

No comments: