Monday, May 18, 2009

More Cancer GPS Help

Got these e-mails from two friends who are cancer survivors. They are in response to my crankiness from last week. They helped me and I thought you would like to read them.

From the first friend:
"I hear ya. After all, how many curveballs can a person catch? I know you are the model patient, but that gets old. How about just a “normal” day without something unexpected (like platelets!)?

I remember one day going to what I thought was going to be a quick x-ray. My master plan was that I would wear my bathing suit under my clothes for this “quick” xray, and then take the kids to the pool. Well, when I got there, it was a 2 ½ hour procedure complete with an IV (which I almost passed out during). The kids waited in the lobby for the duration, while I worried about how in the world they were entertaining themselves. I learned 2 things: always get a babysitter, and never wear my bathing suit to a doctor’s office!"

And from the second friend:
"The physician assistant at my oncologist’s office was extremely helpful in getting through the treatment phase. He suggested that I keep a good ATTITUDE, keep up my APPETITE and remain ACTIVE. He assured me that he would deal with everything else. He also suggested that I do NOT do internet research. My most depressing days were when I attempted self-diagnosis with information from the internet."

I got a good feeling about bloodwork numbers today.........

No comments: